In a previous blog post, we discussed the difference between web design and UI/UX design. In short, a web designer is a person who creates a whole design picture for a website, such as layouts and other visual elements. His or her responsibility is to make the website visually appealing, so often a web designer has knowledge of UI design. The difference between these is that web design is a broader concept. Also, web design cannot be confused with web development.
Web design is not an easy job, so you should do some evaluation of your characteristics if you want to become a web designer. If you are a creative and ambitious person with a passion for technology, then this may be a good choice for you – the demand for web designers is expected to grow.
Benefits of being a web designer
There are a lot of benefits of being a web designer, so these are some of them:
- Web design is an interesting and prospective job. You will have the ability to express your creativity, improve your skills, and grow in your career. Web design is related to graphic design, front-end development, web development, and UI/UX design, therefore, you can always expand your specialization;
- Web design jobs have a high level of satisfaction. Web designers are generally happy with their jobs. The salaries in web design are quite high, and the work and life balance is great since most of them work remotely;
- Web design does not require formal education. There is a lot of web design training, and it is a perfect choice for someone who wants to change their career. Although formal education can help, most enterprises do not require it.
What skills do a web designer need?
A web designer has a lot of responsibilities, from designing the website and creating visual elements with programs to organizing files and communicating with other specialists. A web designer must have these skills:
- Communication and collaboration. A web designer should have the ability to present their ideas as well as communicate with other specialists. Also, communication is a collaboration as he or she needs to listen and understand the people who are working on the project;
- Time management. Most web designers are freelancers and have multiple projects at the same time. So, you have to be responsible and have good time management;
- Technical skills. A web designer has to know how to use design programs and UI/UX design. Knowledge of program languages is desirable, although web designers do not write codes.
Making a decision
Now, that you know what is a web designer, you can make a decision more easily. You may also want to consider these questions: do you like technology? Are you a creative person, who loves design? Can you work with others? do you like solving problems? These are characteristics of a good web designer.